CREOL, The College of Optics and Photonics and the College of Engineering and Computer Science
are pleased to team together to create a new engineering degree program, the BS in Photonic Science and Engineering (PSE),
starting in fall 2013.
Optics and photonics technologies are central to modern life. For example, they are needed to make and inspect the integrated
circuits in nearly every electronic device we use. They are used in high‐eﬃciency lighting, displays, and the harvesting
of solar power. Optical fibers have enabled the Internet and lasers are essential to precision manufacturing and metrology,
and a plethora of medical applications including clinical diagnosis, surgery, and genome mapping. Photonics plays a huge
role in the US and Florida’s economy, with over 270 photonics companies in Florida, employing over 5,000 engineers.
B.S. degree in Photonic Science and Engineering will enable students to analyze and design optical and laser systems for
a broad set of applications including manufacturing, healthcare, telecommunication, defense, security, and entertainment.
PSE students have many unique advantages at UCF:
- CREOL is home to faculty who are world renowned and leaders in the fields of optics and photonics.
- Graduate programs are in the Top 15 nationally.
- Strong industry relationships, with over 60 Industrial Affiliates.
- CAOS, the CREOL student organization is very active, with many events hosted throughout the year.
- Strong academic advising program where students can get help as they register for courses and plan their degree program.
- Only Photonic Science and Engineering B.S. offered in Florida.