BS in Photonic Science and Engineering
CREOL, The College of Optics and Photonics and the College of Engineering and Computer Science
offer this joint program, unique to Florida and found in very few other universities in the United States. The Bachelor of Science in
Photonic Science and Engineeering is designed to fulfill the rapidly growing needs of a industry that is finding applications in nearly
every part of everyday life.
Optics and photonics technologies are central to modern life. For example, they are needed to make and inspect the integrated
circuits in nearly every electronic device we use. They are used in high efficiency lighting, displays, and the harvesting
of solar power. Optical fibers have enabled the Internet and lasers are essential to precision manufacturing and metrology,
and a plethora of medical applications including clinical diagnosis, surgery, and genome mapping. Photonics plays a huge
role in the US and Florida’s economy, with over 270 photonics companies in Florida, employing over 5,000 engineers.
B.S. degree in Photonic Science and Engineering will enable students to analyze and design optical and laser systems for
a broad set of applications including manufacturing, healthcare, telecommunication, defense, security, and entertainment.
PSE students have many unique advantages at UCF:
- CREOL is home to faculty who are world renowned and leaders in the fields of optics and photonics.
- Graduate programs are in the Top 15 nationally.
- Strong industry relationships, with over 60 Industrial Affiliates.
- Participation in the Society of Optics Students (SOS), the undergraduate student organization, which is active throughout the year and holds many events of value to our students.
- Strong academic advising program where students can get help as they register for courses and plan their degree program.
- Only Photonic Science and Engineering B.S. offered in Florida.